I use to have social anxiety for years. Use to get red in the face chatting to just about anyone. Then I started using this meditation for social anxiety.
Social anxiety is a problem a great many people suffer with these days. It is also a very crippling psychological issue that can ruin life for many people.
Thankfully, there’s one technique that can help people suffering from social anxiety: meditation.
We’ve previously published a huge free guide to using meditation for anxiety. But social anxiety is a little different.
There are two steps to overcoming social anxiety with meditation. The first step is done by yourself somewhere private, the second is done while out socialising. It is important to do the first meditation first so that you are relaxed before socialising.
Use this simple meditation for social anxiety
As mentioned above, the first step to overcoming social anxiety with meditation is done somwhere private. Find somewhere quiet where you will not be disturbed for twenty minutes before continuing
1) Focus your mind on your breathing. Specifically, focus on your breath moving in and out of the region between your nose and your mouth. Do this for five minutes. You will find that you are very relaxed after five minutes of breathing meditation.
2) Now think about a social situation in which you would feel anxious. Try to focus lightly on this imagnary situation.
3) Notice the thoughts and feelings that come to mind. You may find certain images our sounds entering your mind. These mental sensations will be related to your anxiety. You are going to eliminate these mental sensations, thereby lessening the symptoms of social anxiety.
4) When you notice a mental thought or feeling, image or sound, observe it in a passive way. Imagine the thought is happening to someone else. Now say to yourself, “This is just a thought, it is not real.”
5) Continue this exercise for twenty minutes, focussing on your breathing and reminding yourself that any thoughts you experience are only thoughts.
How To Overcome Social Anxiety with Meditation STEP 2
The next step is essentialy the same as the first, however it is done while socialising. The next time you are in a social situation, be mindful of your thoughts and feelings. Anytime you feel anxiety tell yourself, “This is only in my mind, it is not real” then focus on your breathing for a moment. This will relax you and completely eliminate your social anxiety.
Also be sure to use these meditations for anxiety too.
Let me know how you get on with this meditation for social anxiety. Leave a comment.