- “If you’re a creative individual then you really should try using meditation for creativity.
- Whether you’re a businessman looking for creative innovations, a writer trying to overcome writer’s block, or an artist struggling to unleash your full creative potential, meditation will help.
- In this article I’ll reveal three powerful meditation techniques for creativity.
As a creative writer and journalist I’ve personally been using meditation for creativity for many years. I know firsthand the immense value of meditation for creativity, and I’ve taught meditation to many high-profile industry leaders over the past ten years.
There are many different things meditation can do for you. But one of my personal favorites is the fact that meditation makes you more creative.
If you want to improve your creativity want to be a creative person you must learn to use your brain effectively. Like an athlete uses their body, you have to use your mind. And just like an athlete trains, you should train too.
One of the best ways to train your creative brain is with meditation
The reason why meditation is so helpful for your creative side is this. The mind naturally gets stuck in one way of looking at things. As we go through life we begin to look at things in one way. We have an idea of ourselves, an idea of other people, and an idea of the world around us. But if we are too stuck on one way of thinking about the world we will not be creative.
As we age we become closed-minded, and closed-mindedness is like cancer to your creative brain.
Artists need to see the world with open eyes and open minds.
For instance, I recently finished my novel Imagine There’s no Heaven. It’s a thriller about a family torn apart by war. In order to write the novel properly, it was imperative that I be able to step into the mind of my characters. I needed to put my personal thoughts and beliefs aside so that I could see the world through the eyes of my characters.
- Read more about how I used meditation for creative writing
When you’re an artist, you need to see the world through the perspective of the art you’re creating.
The same is true for creativity in business.
If you want your business to take off, you muse be able to think creatively
Creative innovation is crucial across the board, from start-up companies to the multinationals.
- Read about the importance of creative thinking in business on Business News Daily.
To get to the top of business, and to stay there, you need a constant string of good creative ideas that keep you above the competition. For that, you need an open mind, because only with an open mind will you have the mental flexibility to create new innovations.
- You can also use these imagination training techniques. See what ideas you can come up with.
There’s really nothing better than meditation for creativity
Meditation is a powerful way to increase your creativity.
Scientists researched the effect that meditation has on creativity back in 2012. Cognitive psychologist Loenza Colzato studied the affect that different meditation techniques have on the two primary ingredients of creativity: divergent and convergent thinking.
Divergent thinking is about coming up with new ideas. Divergent thinking is usually tested via a method called Alternate Uses Task, in which the participant creates as many different potential uses for one object as they can in a certain amount of time.
Convergent thinking is the opposite. Convergent thinking is tested through the Remote Associates Task method, where by participants are given three different words and asked to find the one unifying factor. For instance: Pen, Keyboard, Typewriter = writing.
- Read more about Divergent and Convergent thinking on Cleverism.
Research shows that certain types of meditation improve your creative thinking
Colzato’s test had subjects use two different types of meditation: focused and open. In open techniques the subjects focus on the overall environment. In focused meditation the subject focuses on one thing.
The study showed that open meditation techniques produce a far better effect on creative thinking than focused meditation does. So, Open meditation is the best type of meditation technique for creativity.
Practicing open meditations will make you better at music, a better creative writer, and better at art in general.
Here are three excellent Open techniques for creativity. Practice these techniques and you will significantly boost your creativity.
Open Meditation Techniques For Creativity
1: Pure Awareness:
- Lie down on the bed or a matt on the floor, close your eyes and focus on your breathing or five to ten minutes.
- Now listen to the sounds around you.
- Listen in a nonjudgmental fashion, without thinking. Aim for complete acceptance and awareness. If you are new to this type of meditation, you will find it very helpful to read my book Journey To The Buddha Within You
2: Pure Vision:
- Find somewhere relaxing and tranquil, perhaps a seat in a quiet park or somewhere scenic (or read my guide to creating a meditation space, which will be perfect for this).
- Get comfortable and simply observe.
- Look at the colours and shapes, look at how light plays on various surfaces.
- Explore the scene with your eyes.
3: Five Senses Poetry:
This is a wonderful creative technique.
- Find a scene you would like to write about.
- Now observe everything about the scene through your senses.
- Pay attention to sight, sound, scents, feelings and sounds.
- Finally, write a poem which includes the use of all five senses.
Your chakras also influence your creative brain
Another powerful way of improving creative thinking is through the Svadhisthana, the second chakra, which is the energy center for creativity and sex.
Svadhisthana—which, when translated, means “Dwelling place of the self”—is located below the naval and is related to the element of water. When it is properly balanced the individual experiences pleasure, abundance, well-being, and creativity.
Creativity is a natural part of the human experience on Earth. We are born creative. As Picasso himself said, “All children are born artists. The problem is how to remain an artist when they grow up”.
Life effects the chakras and they are often brought out of balance. This causes a loss of creativity.
- Chakra balancing meditation can restore balance to the second chakra and thereby return the mind to its natural creative state.
How to improve your creative thinking via your chakras
Because the second chakra is situated around the genitalia it can be affected by an unhealthy sex life.
By being sexually healthy you will help restore balance to the chakras. This will improve your creative thinking.
You can also try Ida Nadi breathing, which you can read about on Yoga Journal. This simple technique involves closing the right nostril with the two fingers of the right hand, and then taking ten deep breaths in through the left nostril.
There are also several yoga asanas that will improve your creative thinking
Butterfly pose (Baddha konasana): ]While sitting, fold your feet in together so they are toughing. Relax the knees and let them drop to the side of the pelvis. Now bend forward at the torso and stretch outwards.
Seated Pelvic Circles: Sit in half-lotus with the hands on the knees and circle your torso five times in each direction.
Cobra Pose: Lie on your stomach, feet flat on the floor. With your hands under your shoulders lift your torso upwards while keeping your naval on the floor.
Mantra meditation for creativity: The correct mantra meditation for creativity is VAM. Chanting this mantra vibrates Svadhisthana and brings it into balance, restoring creativity.
Why not start using meditation for creativity today. Let me know how you get on. Leave a comment.
The benefits of meditation on Positive Psychology
The effects of mindfulness of creativity: Psych Central