What is mindfulness meditation training? How do we practice mindfulness? How do we become mindful? Over the next few pages, you will discover everything you need to know about mindfulness training.
What is Mindfulness Meditation?
In a nutshell, mindfulness meditation is a technique that involves bringing your focus to the present moment and being aware without judging.
A great deal of scientific research has proven that there are numerous important benefits of mindfulness meditation training, ranging from improved health to improved effectiveness.
A Basic Mindfulness Meditation Training Exercise
- Find somewhere you can sit peacefully and comfortably without being disturbed.
- Focus your attention on your breath coming and going through your nostrils. Let go of thoughts and remain focussed on the present moment, the feeling of the air coming and going through your nose.
- Continuing to focus on the air through your nose, you will experience thoughts coming and going. Be aware of these thoughts. Likewise, if you feel a certain way (happy / sad / anxious / excited etc) be aware of the feeling but do not judge the thought / feeling nor dwell on it. Simply observe the thought / feeling.
- Anytime you feel your mindfulness lessening (and that you are becoming more involved with your thoughts and feelings) return your focus to your breath).
- When you wish to finish, allow yourself a couple of minutes to gradually return to your normal state, then stand up. Do not rush.